Monday, March 15, 2010
FileMaker iPhone with FileMaker 11
A few days ago FileMaker Inc., announced FileMaker 11. FMWebschool has released a new plug-in that allows everyone to use FileMaker 11 with FMTouch.
FileMaker iPhone - click above image
If you will be working with FileMaker 11 and FMTouch please make sure you download the new plug-in at http://www.fmtouch.com/sync.php FileMaker made some changes to the DDR that affects imbedded images, and this plug-in is an update to accomodate the changes.
We are extremely excited about this new release, and plan on adding many new exciting features to FMTouch.
FileMaker iPad with FMTouch
FMWebschool has been working with the new iPad SDK, and we are happy to say that FMTouch will be ready when Apple releases the iPad on April 3.
There is a new plug-in at http://www.fmtouch.com/sync.php for FileMaker 11. We are very excited about the new posibilities of using FMTouch with the iPad. The expanded view will allow for some amazing FileMaker databases - and testing shows that the iPad is handling databases about 40% faster than the iPhone.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
New version of FMTouch Released to App Store
Hopefully anywhere from 7-14 days this new release will be approved!
- Slightly improved sync when connecting using server sync
- A couple of small bug fixes
- First time DDR loading after updates now has a message that it may take 1-2 minutes
- Added beta support for Barcode Scanning
- Waits for opening script to finish before displaying the first layout (this avoids the visual glitch of the full interface if you are trying to hide it)
- Fixed a number of reported crashes
- Added support for the Round calculation function
- Added support for Perform Find (note: no stored find is performed, you must use "Enter Find Mode", a number of Set Field commands, and then "Perform Find" for a find to work)
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
New FMTouch Update Underway
- New Licensing - we are working on Developer versions that will allow you to bundle your own application and then resell that app on the Apple iTunes store
- New Developer features to allow bundling to happen
- Improvement on Container sync
- Fix - Value List bug
- Fix - Sound / Container bug
- Fix Previous / Next Horizontal view bug (Previous / Next currently hidden when iPhone is held horizontally)
- Add the ability to run a script on start-up
- The ability to hide and show buttons - functionally governed by scripts
- Dial Telephone Script step
- A few other scripts
- Working on Mac and Windows Server Syncing
- Working on Live data connection
Friday, June 5, 2009
FMTouch Developer License - Publish your solution to iTunes
What will the developer version do?
The developer version of FMTouch will enable you to bundle your solution with FMTouch and sell it at whatever price point you desire. Your customer will NOT need to buy FMTouch separately.
* You will need to apply for an Apple developers license (usually takes about 24 hours)
* You will have to submit your application to Apple and go through the same approval process that everyone else goes through.
* FMWebschool is going to create a couple basic solutions bundled with FMTouch and submit them to the App store to see if there are any gotchas. This will help us with documentation and improve our bundling process.
* Customers buying your product will not have to have FileMaker Pro - but if you provide a desktop version - they will be able to sync to that version.
Price Points Open to discussion
(Please don't just say "Too high or Too Low" we need a good discussion)
We would like to discuss price points with everyone as this will enable everyone to bundle their solutions and sell them to all Apple iTunes visitors. Remember this puts your App online, worldwide without you having to write or learn any code.
You could create a FileMaker solution, bundle it with FMTouch and then sell it on the Apple App store for $4.99
Developing such a license will affect our sales of FMTouch as we will lose a lot of Enterprise sales where companies buy 50-100 copies of FMTouch at a time.
So these are the price points that we are considering.
Basic Development License $297 - This will enable you to bundle once FileMaker application with FMTouch and sell it on the iTunes store.
Pro Development License $497 - Allows you to bundle up to 5 FileMaker solutions with FMTouch and sell on the iTunes store.
Unlimited Development License $997 - Allows you to bundle as many apps as you like with FMTouch and sell on the iTunes store.
You would basically be able to create a FileMaker application, bundle it with FMTouch and sell it as your own application without having to learn Objective C, X-Code etc...
All profits would be yours paid to you by Apple, Inc., and you would pay no royalties to FMWebschool.
Further help with Apple Developer License - App Submission Etc...
For developers that would like help with the process of getting their Apple developers license and submitting an application for the first time (as well as help with bundling) we will offer a service where we will do this for you for $197.
We've built several applications, FMTouch, a Battleship App, and a game called WaitAndPlay" so we know our way around the App store and what is required.
Please, we would like your comments on the pricing, and we will let you know how our bundling testing and Apple approval goes.
The team at FMWebschool
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Lawyers using Bento for the iPhone? Think Twice
I am certainly glad that FileMaker is proud of Bento for the iPhone, and they should be. But, they should also realize that Bento for the iPhone has it's place.
First Hand Knowledge
I'm going to come at this blog with some first hand knowledge being the first in the FileMaker community to create web based FileMaker applications for the iPhone and the first to develop a database system for the iPhone with "Thousands of users".
Lawyers - You need to read this
FileMaker is now Twittering about how Lawyers are using Bento for the iPhone. I do believe that FileMaker should let people know that their data is not secure in the Bento database, and that it should be used for NON SENSITIVE information.
FileMaker is suggesting that you use Bento for the iPhone for the following.
* Your Contacts
* Your Classes
* Your Customers
* Your Expenses
* Your Home Inventory
* Membership Lists
* To-do Lists
* Time Billing
Seems Benign right? Last year nearly 8 million Americans (This is only US figures) nearly 8 million people had their phone lost or stolen. Being that we have thousands of users using our FMTouch - FileMaker application for the iPhone - we received dozens of calls from clients whos iPhones had been lost or stolen.
Your Data is SAFE with FMTouch
At least I know that we did our part - you see FMTouch offers 128 bit encryption. We went through a 3 month process with the U.S. government to get the rights to do this. We wanted to make sure our clients data is safe.
What does FileMaker Tech Support Say?
So I called FileMaker tech support and inquired about Bento for the iPhone and what security they had implemented if my phone were to be lost or stolen. None. Absolutely nothing.
It seems Harmless
Why would something as simple as ** Your Home Inventory** database be dangerous? Well if an unscrupulous individual steals your iPhone and you have your home inventory in Bento for the iPhone - suddenly they have access to your contacts - your personal information - and everything in your house.
If you are a Lawyer - sure go ahead and put your contacts - many of them could be court officials that I'm sure would love their information made public. Or perhaps even your time billing - another thing you want to be made public.
Think things through- what value do you put on your personal information?
It's simple - think through your actions before using a program that does not add protection. Your personal information may soon be everyones information.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
FMTouch and Bento for the iPhone
Please do not worry - FileMaker's launch actually helped to propel FMTouch even further. Here's how.
1. FileMaker is running a heavy marketing campaign - this campaign has helped to introduce people to FMTouch - more people are visiting the Apple store and searching for FileMaker and finding us.
2. Bento only syncs with the Mac, there is no Bento product for the PC, that is great for us! You see about 95% of the businesses out there use PC's and they do not want to use a program that only syncs with the Mac.
3. A BIGGIE - Bento is not secure. Did you know that last year over 8 million cell phones were lost or stolen. FileMaker is pushing for people to use Bento to store personal and business information. Think about this, would you want someone to have access to all of your contact information, know where you work, where your kids go to school, where you live, your friends addresses and numbers and email addresses.
You see when we created FMTouch we realized that personal and business data needed to be secure - so we went through a 3 month process with the U.S. government to be able to sell a product that offered 128 bit encryption. This means your data is locked down and safe. No one can access your databases.
4. Bento simply lacks the power of FMTouch. The ability to generate PDF reports, .CSV reports, signature capture, sound recording, scripting, calculations .....
So no, we are simply not worried at all. We will continue to work hard - support our customers and add new core functionality and features to FMTouch and change the way people use their smartphones!
Monday, May 11, 2009
New 1.40 Feature Executing Scripts
FMTouch Embedded Containers 1.40
Monday, April 27, 2009
New Update Released For Approval Today 1.4.0
Here is a list of the new features and upates!
* Perform Script - FMTouch now supports loops and if statements
* Syncing images in an embedded container field
* "Sum" and auto enter calcs now work
* CSV Export (This is a big addition - requested by hundreds of users to be able to export their data to be used in other applications. This works wonderfully) use the "send mail" script in your FileMaker database. You will be presented with several options in FMTouch, choose the CSV option to create a CSV record of your file - and email it as an attachment. Very cool new feature.
- Support for aggregate functions of Sum and Count
- Properly working calculations that are based on other calculations, equals, not equals, and or
- 30-80% faster sync times
- Added support for 15 other calculation engine functions
- Tabbing between fields
- Improved support for value lists, values properly sorted now
- Voice recording and playback using container fields (This is another biggie, we have had doctors, lawyers, realtors all asking for this feature.)
- Improved support for a number of other script steps
- Slightly more intuitive interface when updating a DDR or initializing
As you can see we have been very busy!
Here's a fun movie to check out - Enjoy
When Bloggers Go Wrong
So I thought I would take a few moment to dissect his blog post and then give answers to a few things that others may find confusing.
1. Here is his first comment - They’re at version 1.35 now; it is supposed to work with FileMaker 8 – 10 (I’m on version 8; FM Inc hasn’t done anything of interest to me for a while – I’m only on v8 because OS X required an update).
Stephen Knight - 1.40 is now available at the App store. Yes, it does work with FileMaker 8-10.
2. Problem is, it’s $70, and there’s no “LITE” version to test with.
Stephen Knight - Here's why we currently do not have a lite version?
One of my first questions is what would we take out? I hate the thought of limiting any of the features for FMTouch. Our direction is not to create a lite version, but to create a powerful application that does great things. Plus the price range enables us to employ a support team that is focused on the customer.
We could certainly lower the price to $29.99 and sell a million of these apps, but that is not our goal. We would drown in support. Our goal is to sell a respectable amount of FMTouch and concentrate on product excellence and support.
3. The App Store reviews are marginal
Stephen Knight - The App store ratings are actually really good. 4 Stars for a software product is not easy! Our clients have to BUY FMTouch to post a comment on the App store. I'm not sure but I don't think that a lot of people would post a good review after spending $70 if they did not mean it!
4. The app is reasonably popular, but the vendor’s blog has been pretty quiet and the web site has been poorly maintained.
Stephen Knight - Yes, thank you for calling me out on the blog. I certainly do need to do a better job, and bringing this to my attention is very helpful. I will be more active and keep the FMTouch community more informed. - On a side note - most FMTouchers are hearing from me via email. Please make sure you join our mailing list. I email quite often about what's going on. (Update) As promised, I've been posting more to our blogs as well as to our mailing list. You will also notice that the website is going through a new face lift. Thanks for putting the fire under the seat of my pants!
FMTouch website - is going through a lot of changes - we are actually re-working all of the websites - www.fmgateway.com - fmweschool.com etc.. Also please remember our forums - they are very busy as well - http://www.fmwebschool.com/frm
5. The “tutorial” on sync is a screencast only. I can’t find any reviews from my usual trusted sources.
Stephen Knight - The user guide goes into detail on syncing and all aspects of FMTouch - http://www.fmgateway.com/download/FMTouchUserGuide.pdf - The style guide gives all kinds of help on developing the right look and feel for FMTouch - http://www.fmtouch.com/FMTouchStyleGuide_v2.zip
To the FMTouch community - we will continue to endeavor to develop a superior product - we will continue to listen to you - and we will always strive to do our best to provide excellent customer service.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
iPhone 3.0 Copy, Cut Paste
iPhone Central article
One of the exciting new features is a subscription model in the App store. This will allow software developers selling games and business applications to include modules, and extended levels that they can sell as additions to their core product.
There are many other exciting features in this update, you can read about them here.
Saturday, December 20, 2008
How do I delete a file off FMTouch?
Step 1. Click on the lovely FMStudio icon on your iPhone or iPod touch.
Step 2. Once FMTouch launches, click on the little "i" in the right hand bottom corner.
Step 3. Select the database from the list by touching it with your finger.
Step 4. Select the trashcan image.
Step 5. Select either Delete or Cancel from the list
Friday, December 19, 2008
How to take a screen shot with the iPhone
How to take a screen shot on your iPhone.
While holding the "home" button (The large circular button) press the sleep/awake button on the top of the iPhone.
The screen will flash, and the picture will be saved to your camera roll. You can access the camera roll by pressing this button.
You can then grab your images in your camera roll.
Let me know if you have any questions. This is a very simple technique.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
We are just a Twitter away
I'm sure you didn't notice but I had to pause from typing for a moment just to go on. You may be asking yourself now, what the heck is this blog post all about? Well please don't, if you read the first paragraph you know that I am the one asking the questions.
Ok, I digress the blog post is actually about following us programmers on Twitter. If you would like to be a part of our rantings, or get updates immediately on product releases, updates, new features, rants and great cookie recipes then by all means, please follow us at Twitter.
Now you have a couple of options, you can either follow me the good looking modest developer here at FMWebschool, or Michael Petrov who wears shorts to work and is on a badminton team. I don't know, ocassionally I will wear a kilt to work or some sort of Davy Crockettish clothing but, shorts and a "logo ridden" t-shirt - it just is to much.
So anyways if you would like some serious dialog with me please twitter me - Stephen Knight at
Twitter hyper good looking genius at Twitter
Or you can Twitter Mr. Petrov - world class badminton player and culinary expert at - Michael Petrov Twitter extraordinare.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]