Monday, April 27, 2009
New Update Released For Approval Today 1.4.0
Here is a list of the new features and upates!
* Perform Script - FMTouch now supports loops and if statements
* Syncing images in an embedded container field
* "Sum" and auto enter calcs now work
* CSV Export (This is a big addition - requested by hundreds of users to be able to export their data to be used in other applications. This works wonderfully) use the "send mail" script in your FileMaker database. You will be presented with several options in FMTouch, choose the CSV option to create a CSV record of your file - and email it as an attachment. Very cool new feature.
- Support for aggregate functions of Sum and Count
- Properly working calculations that are based on other calculations, equals, not equals, and or
- 30-80% faster sync times
- Added support for 15 other calculation engine functions
- Tabbing between fields
- Improved support for value lists, values properly sorted now
- Voice recording and playback using container fields (This is another biggie, we have had doctors, lawyers, realtors all asking for this feature.)
- Improved support for a number of other script steps
- Slightly more intuitive interface when updating a DDR or initializing
As you can see we have been very busy!
Here's a fun movie to check out - Enjoy
When Bloggers Go Wrong
So I thought I would take a few moment to dissect his blog post and then give answers to a few things that others may find confusing.
1. Here is his first comment - They’re at version 1.35 now; it is supposed to work with FileMaker 8 – 10 (I’m on version 8; FM Inc hasn’t done anything of interest to me for a while – I’m only on v8 because OS X required an update).
Stephen Knight - 1.40 is now available at the App store. Yes, it does work with FileMaker 8-10.
2. Problem is, it’s $70, and there’s no “LITE” version to test with.
Stephen Knight - Here's why we currently do not have a lite version?
One of my first questions is what would we take out? I hate the thought of limiting any of the features for FMTouch. Our direction is not to create a lite version, but to create a powerful application that does great things. Plus the price range enables us to employ a support team that is focused on the customer.
We could certainly lower the price to $29.99 and sell a million of these apps, but that is not our goal. We would drown in support. Our goal is to sell a respectable amount of FMTouch and concentrate on product excellence and support.
3. The App Store reviews are marginal
Stephen Knight - The App store ratings are actually really good. 4 Stars for a software product is not easy! Our clients have to BUY FMTouch to post a comment on the App store. I'm not sure but I don't think that a lot of people would post a good review after spending $70 if they did not mean it!
4. The app is reasonably popular, but the vendor’s blog has been pretty quiet and the web site has been poorly maintained.
Stephen Knight - Yes, thank you for calling me out on the blog. I certainly do need to do a better job, and bringing this to my attention is very helpful. I will be more active and keep the FMTouch community more informed. - On a side note - most FMTouchers are hearing from me via email. Please make sure you join our mailing list. I email quite often about what's going on. (Update) As promised, I've been posting more to our blogs as well as to our mailing list. You will also notice that the website is going through a new face lift. Thanks for putting the fire under the seat of my pants!
FMTouch website - is going through a lot of changes - we are actually re-working all of the websites - www.fmgateway.com - fmweschool.com etc.. Also please remember our forums - they are very busy as well - http://www.fmwebschool.com/frm
5. The “tutorial” on sync is a screencast only. I can’t find any reviews from my usual trusted sources.
Stephen Knight - The user guide goes into detail on syncing and all aspects of FMTouch - http://www.fmgateway.com/download/FMTouchUserGuide.pdf - The style guide gives all kinds of help on developing the right look and feel for FMTouch - http://www.fmtouch.com/FMTouchStyleGuide_v2.zip
To the FMTouch community - we will continue to endeavor to develop a superior product - we will continue to listen to you - and we will always strive to do our best to provide excellent customer service.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]